What is Mediation?
Mediation is a dispute resolution process where a neutral third-party such as Chicago area June M. Peterson-Gleason facilitates the negotiations of two or more people in achieving a mutually acceptable agreement. The basic principles of mediation are:
- The process is private. Only the people actually involved in the conflict, those who represent them, and those who are needed to resolve the problem should attend.
- Participation is voluntary. No resolution should be forced on any participant. Any resolution is by mutual agreement.
- The people involved control the outcome of the mediation. People are responsible for their conflict and deciding on their own solutions.
- Informed choices are made. The people involved must have enough information with which to make informed decisions about their conflict's resolution.
- Mediation is confidential. Others do not need to know about what happens in the mediation unless there are compelling reasons to limit confidentiality and the participants and the mediator agree that it would be beneficial.
What is the role of June M. Peterson-Gleason as a mediator?
Our Lake County mediation attorney June M. Peterson-Gleason may be selected as a neutral third-party to facilitate negotiations in family law matters such as:
June manages the process, but has no stake in or ability to decide the outcome of the dispute. Our mediation attorney:
- Provides a comfortable facility to meet if needed
- Assists with getting the correct people into the meetings
- Manages emotions
- Helps to ease communication
- Provides for the safe, constructive exchange of information
- Reminds the people involved that the agreement must be mutually acceptable
- Reality-tests the plan and, if necessary, documents the agreement
- Keeps the focus on problem-solving
- Teaches negotiation skills
- Ensures the process keeps moving
At The Law Offices of Thaddeus M. Bond, Jr. & Associates, P.C. we have long experience with mediation and all the issues that tend to surface. Our Lake County mediation lawyers serve clients throughout Illinois and Wisconsin including Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Gurnee, Grayslake, and Waukegan. Please contact us — we would be pleased to arrange a free consultation for you!