Questions about Car Accidents

Serving Waukegan, Libertyville, Lake County, Gurnee & nearby areas of Illinois

What should I do if I’ve had a Car Accident?

First, get medical attention to those who may need it. Next, call the authorities. You should get as much information as possible from the other driver and occupants, including:

  • Contact information
  • Driver license information
  • Vehicle information
  • Insurance information

You should also get the names of any witnesses. If you have a camera or camera on your cell phone, take pictures of the car accident from several different angles. Get the names and badge numbers of the law enforcement officers when they arrive and ask them for a statement about what they observed. Take notes about the time of the accident, the weather conditions, landmarks and more.
You should contact the experienced auto accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Thaddeus M. Bond, Jr. & Associates, P.C.

Why do I need to contact a car accident attorney?
An experienced auto accident attorney can tell you about different rules and procedures that may be associated with filing an insurance claim. This can be tremendously difficult if you are attempting to do this alone. An attorney will speak to the insurance company on your behalf, which saves you time and trouble. If someone has been injured in the car accident, an experienced attorney is important to have on your side.

Who will determine who is at fault in the car accident?
Virtually every auto accident is caused by one driver. It may be completely obvious who caused the accident most of the time. Other accident situations may not be as clear. The police report will usually determine who is at fault in an auto accident. It is the job of the police to write down everything they observe, which will indicate who they believe is at fault. Your lawyer will review the statements of the other involved party or parties, as well as those of any witnesses that saw the accident.

What are some of the reasons I can recover compensation in a car accident?
In addition to any personal injuries you may have suffered, you are also entitled to receive compensation for:

  • Medical expenses
  • Future medical expenses
  • General damages
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of earning capacity
  • Household services
  • Loss of consortium
  • Loss of consortium of a child
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Disfigurement
  • Loss of society and companionship

If you or a loved one has been involved in an auto accident in the Chicago, Lake County, Waukegan, Illinois or Wisconsin area, please contact the experienced car accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Thaddeus M. Bond, Jr. & Associates, P.C. for a free initial case consultation.